Copyright © 2001 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.
Today is

Search BeNotForgot

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

1802 :: Birth of P J Kirtley



Photo of Paschal J. Kirtley tombstone originally shared by stevewoodsjr at ancestry.com in the Woods Beedle Tisdale McKeaig Mattingly Hepner Basye Nesselrodt family tree.
On the 29th day of April . . . in the year 1802 . . . Paschal Jefferson Kirtley is born in Warren County, Kentucky . . . this P J Kirtley is a 3rd great-grand-uncle to the Keeper of this family history blog . . . in January of 1826, he marries Mary Ella McDaniel (1809-1873) . . . and in November of 1826, following the deaths of both of his parents, he is made legal guardian of his three younger sisters . . . about 1827, his wife gave birth to the first of at least ten children.

I first met this man and his family back in the 1990s while searching census records at a local library . . . I was looking for some clue as to the parentage of my 2nd great-grandpa, William Paschal Henry (1836-1912) . . . whose remains reside in the Murray Cemetery in Milam County, Texas . . . and I found a 14-year-old William P. Henry enumerated in the Paschal J. Kirtley household on the 1850 Census for Barren County, Kentucky . . . my first feeble attempts at establishing a connection between the Henry and Kirtley families were unsuccessful . . . but once I began conducting genealogy searches online, I was able to locate a few Kentucky marriages between Kirtley women and Henry men . . . including an 1835 Barren County, Kentucky marriage record for a Thomas Henry and a Mary Kirtley (one of the orphaned sisters) . . . and they wound up being the 3rd great-grandparents I was looking for! So . . .



Thank you, Uncle P.J., for watching out for your little sister (my 3rd great-grandma), Mary, and for helping take care of her son, William P., after his father died.


2 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

How profound to have sought and found the stories of men and women from long ago.

Just goes to show our own life's stories are woven from threads of others in the past.

Diana Ritchie said...

I really loved the layout showing the gravestone and the location...it's given me some ideas for something I'm doing.

Your information is always presented in such a meaningful way - I like to actually visit your site rather than just look at it through a reader so I get the full effect!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2001 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.