Copyright © 2001 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.
Today is

Search BeNotForgot

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday :: Sam H. Sharp



Location of the grave of Sam H. Sharp in the Lovelady Cemetery in Houston County, Texas


The grave marker reads --

HUSBAND
SAM H. SHARP
1867 - 1921
AT REST


aka Samuel Houston Sharp, Jr.
08 November 1867 ~ 14 May 1921
son of
Samuel Houston Sharp, Sr.
and
Mary Alexandrien (Nellie) Lemaire




Sam and Nellie are 2nd great-grandparents to the Keeper of this family history blog . . . and this Sam, Jr. is a great-grand-uncle . . . following is a newsclipping regarding his death . . .



Taylor Daily Press. Taylor, Texas. Saturday Afternoon, May 14, 1921.

Sam Sharp Dies in Taylor Today. Body Will Be Shipped to Former Home in Lovelady for Burial.

Sam H. Sharp, age about 60 years, died this morning at the home of his son-in-law, T. A. Newton, 807 ? West Seventh Street, following a brief illness. Mr. Sharp has been a resident of Taylor for only a short time and was employed as bookkeeper for the Tip Top Milling Company. The body was turned over to the Forwood Undertaking Company to prepare for shipment to his former home in Lovelady, where burial will take place tomorrow. Short services will be held at the Newton home. The deceased is survived by several children.



5 comments:

Caroline said...

I love your photo montage...do you use photoshop? I use Photoshop Elements, and I'm obsessed with it almost as much as I am with genealogy!

Was your Samuel Houston Sharp named after THE Samuel Houston? Just curious...

Caroline

Professor Dru said...

I also love your photo montage.

Beth Niquette said...

How very poignant.

BeNotForgot said...

Thank y'all for your kind comments, but especially for taking the time to stop by and read and view! I actually do my photo editing and collage work using Picasa and IrfanView. I have been happy with what I am able to do so far, but am finding that I would like to be able to do more. I am obsessed enough with my rather simple process, so getting started with Photoshop (if I could ever get past the learning curve) would probably really ruin me!

BeNotForgot said...

Thanks for asking about our Sams. My 2nd great-grandpa, Samuel Houston Sharp, Sr., is a grandson of an early Texas alcalde, Elisha Roberts, who settled ca. 1822 in the Ayish Bayou area in East Texas. His residence was on the El Camino Real, and his house was frequented by visitors traveling in and out of Texas. Sam's mother, Mahala, literally grew up with people sitting around the dinner table whose names are recorded in the pages of Texas history -- including General Sam Houston. There is a Texas Centennial marker erected at both the home and burial sites of Elisha and his wife.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Copyright © 2001 BeNotForgot.com. All rights reserved.